House of the Blackheads
House of the Blackheads (Rātslaukums 7, Rīga) — The Blackheads House, initially called the New house, has been first recorded in 1334. Its original design had been of a common medieval building, and final appearance is a result of numerous reconstructions.
The house was built as a place for meetings and festivities for various public organizations in Riga. In the 17th century a joyous and enterprising foreign, mainly German, merchants association – the Blackheads Company, became the main occupants of the building. The house, considered the most beautiful in the city, together with the city hall and other buildings in Riga was demolished during the Second World War. After the war the interest about the Blackheads house never ceased, different reconstruction projects were developed. In 1992 archeological excavations begun on the location site of the original building and in 1995 a large issue was published about the Blackheads house and the brotherhood. This was the year when the reconstruction was begun. Since 1999 Riga is proud again about its re-erected building.